All You Need To Know About Bordeaux Wine

Chateau La Gravelle. A red Bordeaux.

Bordeaux is a worldwide renowned wine-producing region in France. But it is quite intimidating that Bourdeaux is also the name of the famous wine that is produced in the Bordeaux region, regardless of the variety of grapes used to make it. Although Bordeaux wine can be white, red or rose, the best variety is considered the red. This is a mixture of Merlot, Cabernet and Sauvignon, grapes while the white is a blend of Sauvignon and Semillon.

 

Bourdeaux produces a staggering 75 million cases of wine every year with over 7,500 producers and 120,000 hectares of land with wine plantations.

 

What Makes Bordeaux So Famous?

Bordeaux has been producing and making the finest and most complex wines in the world for centuries. The main factor responsible for this is the rich geographical tread left over from the ice age that left in its wake an environment just perfect for wine growing. This is combined with an ideal coastal climate, effective water resources and incredible soil that is a mixture of limestone, gravel and calcium. Geographically, it is an ideal landscape. The two major rivers Dordogne and Garonne, and the tributaries of which the Gironde counts itself significant, that flow through Bordeaux provide ample groundwater that again is the best for wine making.

Varieties Of Wine

A Bordeaux Dry White Wine

Out of the total grapes produced, 90% of Bordeaux grapes are red. Around 98% of these constitute the three major grape varieties: Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc, while the remaining 2% is a combination of Malbec, Petit Verdot and Carmenere. In contrast, the region’s white wines are made from Semillon, Sauvignon Blanc and Muscadelle.

Bordeaux has 60 appellations and many wine styles. The six main wine styles of Bordeaux are:

  • Red Bordeaux or Bordeaux Superieur
  • Red Cotes de Bordeaux
  • Left Bank
  • Right Bank
  • Sweet White Wine
  • Dry White Wine

How To Go About Tasting Bordeaux Wine

The best way to explore and taste the different Bordeaux wines is to taste one variety at a time.

The best wine, when tasted, gives a feeling of firmness in your mouth along with flavors of spice, earth, currants and tobacco. But the taste of wine becomes softer and refined as the wine ages with additional flavors of cigar box, smoke, cedar, tobacco and truffle. Bordeaux wines are known for their ability to age and mature for years and decades. Vintage wines are those that can age for a century or even more. The best way to explore and taste the different Bordeaux wines is to taste one variety at a time. Find out more here for easy access to tasting and acquiring wines in the region while in Bourg.
The price of Bordeaux wines ranges from a petty $5 and goes up to $10,000 for a vintage bottle.

 

It is advisable to begin with a wine in the $15-$20 range and go up as you find the taste appealing.

Some Important Facts About Bordeaux Wines

  • Every year 728 million bottles of Bordeaux are produced
  •  42% of Bordeaux wine is exported
  • The sale of Bordeaux wine is staggering at 23 bottles per second round the globe
  • China is the biggest importer of Bordeaux wines